So we took him to the vet, and the vet said that he did, in fact, try to call. On Tuesday when we were at Mom's house, d'oh. Ah well, that's what we get for not owning an answering machine. But the good news is, it's not an infection! Yay! ...But wait, that means it's not an infection. Darn it. (This was my exact internal reaction at the vet.) We figure Oreo's body is up to its old shenanigans (I say as if Oreo's internal organs are doing all this just to torment us--I know it's just that he's an old kitty, and they're doing the best they can!), but of course the (new to Oreo) doctor wanted to do more tests. Only problem with that is we can't afford more tests.
Turns out we really can't afford more tests, because the second big event this morning was getting an email to let us know that the big project we've been working on will be on hold indefinitely. Siiiiiiiigh. To be honest, the idea of not having to deal with it for a while is more than a little appealing, but then we face reality and remember that our work supply is dwindling all the faster these days. And then there was a new blog post by mister grumpy translator that we couldn't resist reading, even though we knew it would make us feel bad for falling for TokyoPop's miserable pay trap, thus ruining the manga industry for all eternity. So I'm seriously considering fading away from the manga business entirely. We haven't given up hope, of course, but we're definitely thinking more and more that we need to look into new possibilities. Like Disneyland guest relations.
Anyway. So we can't afford any more tests to find out what's officially wrong with Oreo. It's not that we don't love Oreo enough to pony up the cash; it's that after October 2009, we've learned that chances are it really is the same problem, and it would probably be better for all of us in the long run if we don't drive ourselves to bankruptcy. So we came home with some Panacur (kitty stomach medicine), and some advice from the doctor, who was very hesitant to say it because it's never something anyone wants to hear, that if he doesn't improve and we don't do any more diagnostics, it might be time to think about...well, you know. The way he is now is not good quality of life...
Of course we don't blame the doctor for making the suggestion; we've been thinking it might be Oreo's time all week. But that last comment made me think, "Ooooohhhhh nooooooooo! We've been torturing Oreo all this time! We're terrible cat owners! Aaaaaahhhhh!" (Clearly, today is a very insecure day for me.) When we told Celeste about it on the way home (she drove us), she even pointed out the "if he doesn't improve" part to help me feel better, but man.
Anyway. We're optimistic. We got him to eat a little more when we got him home, the vet gave him a shot of subcutaneous fluid (since he was dehydrated again), and we gave him some medicine, which will hopefully help him feel much better. In fact, the last time he had an episode, all it took was some Panacur. I just wish he looked a little bit more comfortable right now.
Today I'm thankful for Celeste being kind enough to drive us to the vet even though she'd just given blood, getting some Panacur for Oreo, chocolate peppermint ice cream topping from Ghirardelli's (Mom's friend brought some when she visited; we don't know if she brought it for Mom or for us, but it's ours now), Oreo eating today!, and making good progress on work today despite interruptions for the vet (the hold doesn't go into effect until the end of the month).