So now we're just going to encourage the cosplay bug by posting pictures from Anime Expo 2003.
The important thing to remember about all of these photos is that we didn't take them. That being the case, we don't know who all the characters are or, in the case of non-cosplay photos or out of character cosplay photos, what inspired the taking of them. So I'm going to number all the photos, in case somebody who does remember what was going on in them feels the need to comment and let us know. They can then refer to the photo by its number, to avoid confusion. We'll comment on the ones we can comment on.
1. This is just another example of the hardships of con life: sleeping in the back of a truck.
2. Another hardship of con life: if you're costumes aren't completely finished and you have a ton of people in your room, it's guaranteed to look something like this.
3. I'm pretty sure this group consists of our college Posse and everyone who was staying in a hotel room with Posse members (minus the photographer, plus the guy who owned the truck and drove most of the Posse to the con (and slept in his truck, poor guy)). As you can see, the Posse is cosplaying GetBackers.
4. Now for the "hey, cool cosplay!" photos!
5. Could we have cropped this picture? Yes. Should we have? Probably. Why didn't we? Because cropping is a pain, and we are lazy.
9. We labeled this as Aya and Haru, but come to think of it, the guy might be Yuki. Athena says she thinks we asked him, but she doesn't remember his answer.
10. Waiting for the Opening Ceremonies.
13. Here's pixiepilot as Duo, and some guy we don't know as Heero!
15. Here we are sitting at the panel featuring the director (Kazuhiro Furuhashi) and character designer (Atsuko Nakajima, who remembered us at later AXes) of GetBackers. Our whole group is LDS, so any time you see someone with a cigarette in their mouth, it's candy. (Though that might have been obvious because smoking indoors in public places is illegal in California, and it doesn't really look like a cigarette. Athena informs me that in later years, they upgraded to fake cigarettes, prompting our Sanzo cosplayer to be asked to leave the building.)
18. We still have our giant TokyoPop bag like the one you see in the background. It's full of yet-to-be-cataloged fabric.
19.Apparently Yuna decided Squall is way cooler than Tidus.
That's all for now! We figure approximately twenty photos at a time is enough. We only got permission from two people, so if anybody has any objections to these photos, let us know and we'll take them down. Also, if anybody who was in our group at this AX wants any of the full-sized versions of these photos, we think that can be arranged (unless Gochan (the photographer) tells us not to, in which case, we're sorry, our hands are tied).
Today I'm thankful for nostalgic photo CDs, having an ever so slightly more organized fabric collection, remembering what really pretty fabric we have so that someday I might be inspired to use it, e-mails with exciting propositions, and all the pretty white flowers on our tree outside (it's like popcorn!).