So anyway, we almost never make New Year's resolutions, but I had the feeling that we kind of made it an official resolution last year to make more of an effort to get to Japan, so I was going to talk about how that was successful, but then I went back to check our New Year's posts from a year ago, and I didn't see anything about resolutions. But anyway, we did make it to Japan finally, so whether or not it was an official resolution, it was a success!!
We also got to meet Toshihiko Seki at Anime Expo, and we bought annual passes to Disneyland... I talked about all this stuff around Thanksgiving, didn't I? I thought it sounded familiar. Never mind. Instead of trying to write this all from scratch, I'll just go steal that meme from last year.
01. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
We went to Japan!! We translated novels professionally, we met Toshihiko Seki... Everything that happened in Japan was new...
02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
As I talked about earlier, we did manage to get to Japan. I think we might make more for next year, but we'll see if we write any of them down. Eheh. We can resolve to make new costumes!
03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but somebody close to somebody close to us did!
04. Did anyone close to you die?
05. What countries did you visit?
Japan!!! And the Magic Kingdom!
06. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
07. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
We stopped remembering dates, but I believe it was actually July 4th that we met Toshihiko Seki and he called us beautiful. Also, we went to Tokyo Disneysea on May 2nd. Oh, and our sisters got married on October 18th and December 27th.
08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Going to Japan! (I'm noticing a theme...) And translating novels.
09. What was your biggest failure?
I can never remember those on demand. Like I'm always randomly thinking, "Argh, if only I'd done this!" and wishing I'd handled certain situations better, but when you ask what they are, the memories run and hide.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A trip to Japan! And annual passports to Disneyland. And a laptop.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Well it would be conceited to say ours (though I do think we did some awesome stuff)... But I can't really think of anyone else because we never talk to anyone. Oh! except for Kimee picking really good Christmas presents and our former home teacher being awesome enough to drive us to LAX and back.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Technically, rent, but other than that, it would probably be the Japan trip, followed by the AX trip, followed by the laptop.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
JAPAN!!!!!!!!! Or rather, TOKYO DISNEYSEA!!!!!!!!
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Shining Tears" and "Compass of Your Heart."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder: Both, in different ways.
thinner or fatter: About the same
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Make costumes! Maybe also see about practicing musical instruments, but we look to the future for that.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Nothing I can think of.
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Spending time with family, or at family's house while time was spent doing stuff.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
With Tokyo Disneysea.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
I'm not sure we watched much TV this year. Hmmm...
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think so.
26. What was the best book you read?
Hmmm... If manga doesn't count than, other than The Book of Mormon, Athena read The Count of Monte Cristo. If manga does count... wow, we read a ton of good manga this year--Akiyoshi Family Series, with!!, Black Butler (I say its English title because it's so much easier to pronounce)... and a bunch more stuff I can't remember right now because my brain is too cluttered.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"Shining Tears" and "Compass of Your Heart."
28. What did you want and get?
A trip to Japan, a laptop, a PSP, annual passes to Disneyland... we kind of spoiled ourselves this year.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think we saw three movies this year: The Dark Knight, WALL-E, and Bolt. Oh right, and Horton Hears a Who came out this year, didn't it? Oh! and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Oh! and Alvin and the Chipmunks!! But we couldn't really pick a favorite.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
We flew over the International Dateline into our birthday, and then we checked into our hotel in Japan.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Hm. Good question.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
...pajamas. Working freelance is nice. (Same answer as last year.) But actually, we had pajamas this year, and we also started wearing ever so slightly more girly clothes when we go out, to emphasize our nice proportions.
34. What kept you sane?
Faith and will power.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Toshihiko Seki! (Did I mention he called our costumes beautiful? *grin*)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Prop 8, but I don't want to talk about it anymore.
37. Who did you miss?
I don't know.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Jinsei wa bouken da
Chizu wa nai keredo
Shinjite, Compass of Your Heart♪
Life is an adventure,
Although it doesn't have a map.
Let's look for treasure,
Believing in the compass of your heart.
Overall, I'd say this has been a very good year for us. Soon it will be time to start working to make it just as good (or maybe better) next year. But in the meantime, Lego Dagobah is taunting me.
Today I'm thankful for New Year's memes, New Year's Eve Chex Mix, emergency breakfast supplies, Princess a Day lip gloss, and realizing that Lego R2-D2 can hover. That was a very important discovery.