After doing that end of the year meme, and thinking it'll probably be going around again at the end of this year, I'm a little bit more worried about making sure the first sentence of the first entry of each month isn't boring. I'm not sure I'll succeed, since I've been feeling pretty boring in writing lately. We'll see.
Can't talk, time for video games.
baranoneko is made of awesome.
I really think I'd rather not do this "family dinner Sunday" thing, because we end up sitting around being bored while everyone does their own thing about half the time. And sometimes, they really feel more like bored games. (Ha ha, I made a pun.)
To be honest, we were actually a little glum yesterday.
I keep trying to post the post I wrote earlier, but it won't let me. It wouldn't even let me post an abbreviated version! *sniffle*
(Oh yeah, that's when LJ was being weird... Incidentally, that was the whole post.)
We're back, we're alive, we're even both in one piece each. That reminds me of AX, one piece does.
"I smell... Delivery" That's a quote from John Bruce on an episode of While You Were Out.
How wrong is it that ABC, a network owned by Disney, which is a company that got started with and is known for its animation, does not have cartoons on Saturday mornings?
Today is a day of marveling. We opened the fridge this morning and there was so much space in it. Amazing! The roommate had been kind enough to remove all her food that wasn't getting eaten, and we didn't even ask her to!
When Athena got up this morning, she noticed that the living room light was on.
Once again, there's a new episode of our podcast up for anyone who's interested.
Well, that does sum our year up fairly nicely. Lots of video games, packages, some roommate stuff, us whining that nobody likes animation anymore. Yup. But I noticed it leaves out most of the really exciting stuff, because all that happened in the middle of months.
I think the biggest highlight of the year was getting to "assistant edit" Kingdom Hearts II manga back in January. But that doesn't mean it was all downhill the rest of the year. We got a Japanese PS3, and that opened up a world of new video games to play, which was also awesome. We met some awesome new people, including three manga rewriters! One of them's new to the business, so she listed all the stuff she's done during the year, which kinda makes us want to do that, too, but then we have to go back and figure out what all came out this year, and we never pay attention to release dates. Well, rarely, anyway.
We did a lot of crazy out-of-comfort-zone stuff, too, like taking the train to Disneyland. Conclusion: trains are not horrible, but we'd rather not take them if we don't have to. Still, for the occasional trip to Disneyland, I think it's worth it. And we started a podcast, and we made our petition. And we've managed to save a bunch of money in preparation for a trip to Japan at Some Point. So in those respects, (whether or not anything comes of those things other than a bit more courage) I think the year has been kind of a prelude or a prologue or something, and I'm kind of excited to see what may lie in store in 2008. Although it is a little scary.
I kind of want to sum the year up more, but I'm not sure what to say, so here's another end of the year meme.
Taken from nezumiko
01. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Take the train to Disneyland and AX. Start a podcast.
02. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Umm... we don't really make resolutions, so yes and/or no. But I think we'll have a few for 2008.
03. Did anyone close to you give birth?
If anyone we know gave birth, we're obviously not close enough to them to know about it.
04. Did anyone close to you die?
05. What countries did you visit?
The Magic Kingdom!
06. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More friends, maybe.
07. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Let's see, we went to Disneyland on June 17, it was about January 9-ish that we were working on Kingdom Hearts manga, there was something in February, but I don't want to go into that. Oh! And I can't forget April 27--our sister's wedding.
08. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Saving up money? Pushing ourselves to make big plans? Kingdom Hearts? "Biggest achievement" is so relative.
09. What was your biggest failure?
Blocked from my mind at the moment. Maybe not making costumes for AX. Maybe not being better roommates, though we're told we did alright.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Japanese PS3. Though I'm not sure that counts, since we made Celeste buy it for us. Trip to Disneyland? Band Brothers for DS?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My visiting teacher, who is no longer my visiting teacher, but is now the Relief Society president, and still watched Princess Tutu with us.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Um... maybe Break Through the Dream... but that'll more just remind us of Gurren-Lagann.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder: Both, in different ways.
thinner or fatter: About the same
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Make costumes? Practice drawing? Get ready to make some sort of trip to Japan and/or move away from Fresno?
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Nothing I can think of.
20. How will you be spending/did you spend Christmas?
Spending time with family, or at family's house while time was spent doing stuff.
22. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Athena: Does Tsukimori count?
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
Scrubs. Unless anime counts, then probably Gurren-Lagann, but maybe something I'm forgetting, but then again if I forgot it, it's probably not my favorite no matter how awesome it was.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think so.
26. What was the best book you read?
We mostly just read manga, and we have such a hard time choosing favorites.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Band Brothers for Nintendo DS.
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
Trip to Japan
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Meet the Robinsons
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
What did we do? We went to Family Home Evening and were given two cupcakes each, which was bad, because we were still full on pizza (given to us by my awesome visiting teacher). Oh! And we watched Gunparade March. Good stuff.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I'm still trying to figure that one out.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
...pajamas. Working freelance is nice.
34. What kept you sane?
Faith and will power.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hmm... Takahiro Sakurai. Yes indeed.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Maybe global warming, since we worry about the climate here. Maybe Mitt Romney as a presidential candidate. I don't know; we don't pay enough attention to politics.
Oh wait! Does anime downloading count? In that case, that's the one.
37. Who did you miss?
I don't know.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Oh, don't make us choose!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
I'm sure there were a bunch. I'm sure I wrote about most of them in Live Journal when I learned them. But I can't pick out specific concepts currently.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
We're thinking something from "wing area" (Saiyuki - Son Goku) or "The Bare Necessities" (Disney's The Jungle Book - Baloo), but I'm too lazy to get a direct quote.
Tadah! It's been a pretty good year overall, I think.
This year, I'm thankful for being able to actually save money and buy toys, new-ish clients that like us, being able to play Japanese video games, awesome anime, and new friends.