Alethea & Athena (double_dear) wrote,
Alethea & Athena

  • Mood:

After the Mamoru Miyano Marathon

We ended up staying up a little late watching Miraculous, because, in the name of also watching things that are not Miraculous, we decided to watch a movie. I don't know if anybody's heard of The Little Mermaid movie that came out last year, but it showed up in our Netflix suggestions, and we were curious, so we checked it out. It had a very similar vibe to Walt Before Mickey...which makes sense, because it turns out it was made by the same guy. It was a cute idea, but it kind of seemed like too much of the story got left in the creator's head, and didn't make it to the screen. We weren't bored, just full of questions.

But anyway, I think I have enough energy left to finish telling about Friday at Anime Expo.

After our Mamoru Miyano marathon, we wanted to rush over to the exhibit hall before it closed, in the hopes that our friends at an industry booth could give us a rubber band, and in the hopes of seeing our Sailor Moon editor, who was supposed to be arriving sometime before the day was over.

As we made our way out of the Marriott, we ran into Y-san, so we said hi, and we happened to be going the same direction, so we walked together, and talked together, about cosplay mostly, and then the tragedy of tragedies happened. We were on one of the more narrow pathways between the Marriott and the Convention Center, and there were two streams of people going opposite directions. At one point as we were walking along, I noticed that Y-san had waved to someone who was going the other way. I turned to see who it was...and saw the back of Ohkubo-sensei's head as he headed back to the Marriott with his entourage. The appropriate sound effect here is ガーン. Not only were we this close to Atsushi Ohkubo, but we were with the one person we knew who could introduce us! And she would have! But we were going in opposite directions, and it's one of those things, where it's like, "Oh hey friend! Good to see you, but we're going opposite directions so it's not a good time to talk, catch you later!" And the streams of people were not the kind that would have allowed for stopping to chat. It was a bummer, but that's just life sometimes.

We continued our trek to the dealers' hall with Y-san, and we made it to the Kodansha booth, where we discovered that Atsushi Ohkubo had just been there and drawn a sketch and autographed the Fire Force display. Y-san started talking to some other people, so we waved goodbye and drifted off to the Yen Press booth, where we had fun chatting with editors but no luck getting rubber bands.

Then the dealers' hall closed, and we didn't make it in time to get in to the Shinto panel, so we decided to go to Chik-Fil-A. Because we were camping out at the Marriott all day, where there was no Wild Bill's Soda, we did not take advantage of $5 all-day refills, and therefore thought it would be wise to have some "real food." And we'd seen a Chik-Fil-A on the route from the convention center to our hotel, so we took advantage. We stayed in costume, of course...but maybe that goes without saying. And while we were there...there was a big earthquake! Tadah!

The epicenter was actually many miles away, so the shaking wasn't very strong--it just went on for a long time. It was kind of a gentle rocking, and almost would have been relaxing if not for the whole "earthquakes destroy buildings" thing. And it made me a little dizzy. It was kind of funny, because Cecille texted us to make sure we were okay, and I didn't hear my phone, so she kept texting and eventually called, but meanwhile all the locals at Chik-Fil-A didn't seem fazed in the least. There might have been a slight uptick in tension when the earthquake had been going on for such a long time, but once it stopped, we were all like, "Okay, cool." The lamps kept swinging for a while though, which was a little alarming to me, because I've always had a thing about heavy things falling from the ceiling. It's why we wouldn't let Dad take us to the aerospace museum as children. It was thoughtful of Cecille to check on us, though.

And then we went back to the hotel, stayed up late again talking about anime and stuff, and then got ready for Sailor Moon day on Saturday. But more on that next time.

Today I'm thankful for getting to see an intriguing new take on the Little Mermaid, getting to hang out with Y-san, getting to have a sizable meal during Anime Expo without spending an arm and a leg, Chik-Fil-A cookies, and surviving the earthquake.
Tags: anime expo, event report, the little mermaid

  • Stuff

    Today was once again dedicated mostly Pokemon Snap. ...Or I feel like it was, but that's not actually true. We played enough Smash Bros. to unlock…

  • Mental health day

    Today, we took a mental health day. I'm not sure if we were super in need of, I think we could probably still function if we had to work,…

  • Song leadership

    Athena and I were just sitting here talking about what to write in LiveJournal, and our discussion turned to our church callings and how she does all…

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic
    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.