But we finally added all of the new things we've worked on since that time, except for some of the ones that haven't been published yet, like Nekogahara, and since we now had a handy-dandy up-to-date list of (almost) everything we worked on, we wanted to add up all the numbers and see how many books we've translated in our career. And the grand total was...484. It's a little underwhelming. Athena just remembered that we didn't include any of the Harlequin manga, so that would probably put us over five hundred, but man, really? We translated about sixty books last year, and we're getting close to fifty so far this year, which means we've translated over a hundred books in the last twenty months, and that's about a fifth of all the books we've ever translated. Since we've been translating for about thirteen years now, it just seems a little unbalanced.
Oh well, it's not really a big deal. More importantly, we discovered that we apparently haven't updated our resume since we got this computer, which means we didn't have a resume file anywhere on our hard drive. And that means that in order to find our most recent resume, we searched through our sent email, and we discovered just how shameless we were when trying to get a certain publisher's attention.
So now, for your enjoyment, I will present our shameless email to all of you! Completely unedited save for one redacted bit. (This isn't the first email we sent them, so we didn't start out this shameless.)
Top Ten Reasons to hire the Nibley Twins as translators!
We're Alethea and Athena Nibley, and we would like to offer our services as manga translators. We have compiled a list of ten reasons this would be beneficial to you!
1. Manga readers love twins.
2. For the price of just one translator, you get double the workforce, double the fun(?)!
3. We have lots of experience, including translating such popular titles as Fruits Basket and Negima!. (See our extensive resume below.)
4. We work quick like a bunny!, and always meet our deadlines.
5. You can hire us purely for translation, or for translation AND adaptation, thus saving time and money! (We'll offer you a low introductory translation-plus-adaptation fee of just [redacted]!)
6. We're detail-oriented! Even the smallest sound effect won't escape our notice!
7. We love manga and will not shy away from silly, girly, shojo manga, manga for kids, or even mecha! We'll even translate the occasional fan book!
8. We have a firm grasp of the English language! Aside from the occasional dialect or typo, you won't have to correct our grammar or spelling!
9. We have Google and Wikipedia, and we're not afraid to use them! (For looking up cultural and other obscure references.)
10. We're awful cute<3
Thus concludes our top ten list! Thank you for reading! We hope you'll consider hiring us for future projects!
Alethea & Athena Nibley
And here's a review from someone who read the email: "I don't know what we were thinking. - Athena Nibley"
Today I'm thankful for amusing trips down memory lane, having plans to go to the temple this afternoon, getting a 50% off coupon from Pizza Hut yesterday (and when we get 50%, that's like a sign that we need to order pizza), Kingdom Hearts Unchained Chi having a 0-AP festival, and getting to take it easy this weekend.